Funny story; I have a vivid memory of my busy Mom whipping up this mouthwatering delight to bring to a get-together, and then heading off to get herself ready - leaving the scrumptious cake to cool on the counter. Soon after, my Dad came across the freshly baked dessert sitting unattended, and skillfully picked at the carmelized topping... I am sure he started off intending to eat only an "undetectable amount", but this cake is just too good! Eventually, unable to help himself, he managed to peel off and devour much of the chewy frosting. When my Mother returned to the kitchen, all dolled up, ready to pack up her cake and go... she found it almost bare. You can imagine what happened next ;)
|Lazy Dazy Cake|
This may not be the healthiest dessert, but I do believe "everything in moderation".
So easy to prepare and always a favourite of those who have tasted it.
I would love to hear your about your favourite comfort recipes... please do share.
Lazy Dazy Cake
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Sift together flour, salt and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs for 4 minutes with electric mixer on high. Add sugar and vanilla, continue beating until light and fluffy. Add flour mixture.
- In a sauce pan, bring 1 cup milk and 2 tablespoons butter to a boil. Add to batter and beat until combined.
- Pour batter into 9x13 inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 40 min-60 minutes - * until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- To make the frosting: In a saucepan, combine brown sugar, coconut, 6 tablespoons butter and 4 tablespoons milk. Heat and stir until butter is melted and mixture is smooth. Pour over cake as soon as it comes out of the oven. Put cake in the oven under the broiler and bake 3 to 4 minutes, or until icing is light brown. *Do not walk away, it can go from perfect to burnt all too quickly.